January 6, 2019

Happy New Year!

Each year presents its own ups and downs, and as we say goodbye (or even good-riddance) to the last, we no doubt welcome the start of and infinite possibilities in the new year ahead! 

Photograph by Maria M.

The last few months of 2018 were difficult...health issues, a particularly challenging semester, and throw in personal doubts about making a hobby a career kept me away from social media and this blog.  I'll spare the rest of the boring details, and just say that I have and continue to be overwhelmingly grateful for the support of friends, family, and all of you lovely followers on this blog, on Facebook and on Instagram.  Your kind encouragement through "likes," follows and "hellos" in person mean so much and keep me sewing!  

To start off the blogging for 2019, I hope you won't mind a departure from the usual "year in review" post.  There were so many projects, especially with two semesters full of sewing and weaving classes, that didn't make it to the blog, I find it overwhelming to sort through them all now.  Rather, I'd like to give myself a clean slate and open with my New Year's resolutions: 


#1 - Sew or weave (almost) every day

Practice makes perfect, or at least better, right?  In the new year, I'd like to make an effort to sew or weave a little each day, which shouldn't be too hard seeing as their my major and passions.  A few breaks to recharge, however, are allowed and necessary for my sanity haha! 

Weaving at the Humphrey House
Photograph by Judy J.


#2 - Quality over quantity 

I'm sure that every fellow blogger out there can relate to the feeling of burn out, especially when it comes to stressing about producing content for multiple platforms, trying to stick to a posting schedule, and, if you're like me, constantly playing "catch up" on past projects.  Well this year, I'm going to focus more on the quality of my postings rather than trying to promise any number or frequency.  Writing is happiness! 


#3 - Get out and about more 

Social media is great - I've befriended so many like-minded hobbyists and enthusiasts, made friends and global connections, and have learned so much and been inspired by all that's shared.  However, I feel like I need to spend less time online, and more time in the present.  I'd like to attend more events and costumed get-togethers, and apologize in advance for my social awkwardness if we meet ;)  

A happy memory from the 2018 Citizen's Forum!


#4 - Enter a new era?

I will always feel at home in the 19th Century, but I'd love to learn more about the 18th Century and its fashions!  Ever since I visited Colonial Williamsburg, all I've wanted to do is go back!  

Someday I'd love to visit again...

Fashions at the Margaret Hunter Millinery Shop

What are your New Year's Resolutions? Wishing you all of the joy, good health, happiness and prosperity possible this year - Cheers to 2019!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We ❤︎ Our Patrons

Like what you see here, and want to support future blogging and educational programming? Consider becoming a Patron - click on the button below to unlock exclusive contents, bonus blog posts, and more! Every contribution makes a big difference, thank you!