May 24, 2018

Museum Season V + Domestic Skills Symposium IV

Yesterday was my first day back for a fifth season at the Genesee Country Village & Museum as the interpretation office assistant and historical interpreter.   If you've been following this blog for a few years, you may be familiar with a tradition that Judy, the partner-n-crime, and I have to take opening day photos.  Though it was not exactly opening weekend this time, it was a very happy reunion!  

Opening day photo, year III!

I also enjoyed getting to play "dress up" again for a day at the Foster-Tufts house.  We had about 400 school children and several other families come through to hear all about how to prepare for a new, little arrival (the current interpretation theme).  For the occasion, I revamped an old dress, finally adding hooks and eyes at the wrists, and paired it with new accessories and the 1830s Cap of Lace, Net & Ribbon from the previous post. 

Outfit of the Day

Maria did me the great favor of playing photographer in the morning.  Though, being the little sister, much silliness ensued...including this outtake:

I wonder what was so funny? LOL



2017 Domestic Skills Symposium Synopsis

Since it's a museum post, I thought I'd play catch up and tag on some pictures from the Domestic Skills Symposium this past fall - November 10th through the 12th, 2017.  I realized I never ended up posting these, so for memories sake (and to prove I was there haha!), here we go...


Hosted by the Genesee Country Village & Museum, this year's three day symposium featured four, exciting guest speakers, a 19th century luncheon, and two full days of pre- and post-conference workshops.  

The Saturday speakers included: 
  • Peter G. Rose, author and food historian, presenting "Manuscript Cookbooks as Documents of Social and Family History"
  • Nancy Webster, curator of the National Friends Historical Association, presenting "Street Foods of the Late 18th and 19th Century"
  • Mark Presher, our master potter at GCV&M, with "Store it, Cook it, Eat it. The Potter Made it All."
  • Patricia Tice, curator of the John L. Wehle Gallery and Susan Greene Costume Collection, presenting "Calico Capers"


Chocolate custards using American Heritage Chocolate
from Eliza Acton's Modern Cookery, in All Its Branches, 1858.

The luncheon bill of fare featured familiar favorites like Salamongundy with Hosmer Dressing, Mrs. Fitzhugh's Buns, sweet pickled beets, East India pickles, and apple and quince.  Collared pork, green corn pudding and French spinach were the main dishes.  Though, it was the desserts that really stood out with a cold fruit pudding from Mrs. Horace Mann's Christianity in the Kitchen (1858), hot pudding sauce, and chocolate custards from Eliza Acton's Modern Cookery, in All Its Branches (1858).  Beverages included fruit shrub, cider, coffee, tea and water.  

Only the yummiest fruit pudding ever, serious ever...
I won't admit to how much of this I ate ;)

One of the workshops included the incredibly successful Berlin work pincushion class taught by none other than Judy.  She put so much time and effort into the class, it's no wonder it sold out!  

Berlin work pincushion workshop.
Photograph by Ruby Foote.
(via the Domestic Skills Workshop Album on Facebook)

This time I was one of the out-of-state attendees, driving all the way home on Friday after classes so I wouldn't miss symposium number four.  (I'm still 4/4, and planning on 5/5 this coming fall!)  I really look forward to this event.  There's just something about it that makes it more special to me than some of the other events...perhaps it's getting to share our crafts in the village program and representing our interpreters for a fourth year now.  

Obligatory outfit of the day picture
thanks to Ruby Foote!

As in the past, I spent most of the day manning the crafts in the village table and showing off a years' worth of work by our very talented craftspeople.  Dawn really outdid herself with the hand-dyed yarns this year!

Naturally dyed yarns as part of the crafts in the village program.






Interested in attending this year?  The dates for the 2018 Domestic Skills Symposium have been announced!  Mark your calendars for November 2nd through the 4th - hope to see you there! 

Pottery by Mark Presher, master potter at the Genesee Country Village.

Shout outs:  Many thanks go to Deanna for her leadership and coordination of another outstanding symposium (and for allowing me to come back again!)  To Brian, Lori, Sarah and little Penny, and to everyone else who made it such as success.  To Ruby and her camera for capturing all of these memories (and reminding me to take pictures myself haha).  And finally, to Judy, my partner-n-crime, for welcoming me back and making the weekend trip possible, and Ariana, my museum twin, who I couldn't disappoint ;)   

No comments:

Post a Comment

We ❤︎ Our Patrons

Like what you see here, and want to support future blogging and educational programming? Consider becoming a Patron - click on the button below to unlock exclusive contents, bonus blog posts, and more! Every contribution makes a big difference, thank you!