October 13, 2015

Write Only What You Love

"Love. Fall in love and stay in love. Write only what you love, and love what you write. The key word is love. You have to get up in the morning and write something you love, something to live for."
~ Ray Bradbury

My family.  My friends.  The museum.  Our village.  Our history.  My loves.  Sometimes finding the right words to say - the perfect string of nouns, adjectives and verbs to express the way you truly, deeply feel - is difficult.  However, when you love what you love, the words will follow.

My sister, Maria, and our exchange student, Lisa, on her first visit to the museum ♥

With that said, yesterday brought the end to another, successful museum season at the Genesee Country Village & Museum.  Without doubt, the museum has become my home away from home, and my fellow coworkers, my second family.  The opportunity to return as a full-fledged interpreter for my second season has been just the greatest pleasure and privilege; and I have nothing but thanks and praise for all of my fellow interpreters & museum staff.  Here's to the memory of a strong 2015 season, may the 2016 season bring even bigger, better & brighter things!

Walking under the pergola.

Care for one last turn about the Livingston-Backus garden?  Perhaps my favorite and one of the most splendid of the ornamental, heirloom gardens in the village, Rhonda and I spent the last few minutes of the day strolling around in its beauty.  No wonder it's a popular spot for weddings and luncheons. I also can imagine elegant teas and garden parties straight out of a Renoir or Tissot canvas!



How about a closer look at the garden house?  

Just look at the splendor!

And inside...


The shutters open as doors!

(Don't miss these gorgeous pictures taken at the Livingston-Backus garden!)


Hyde garden.

And now for some more pictures taken during Lisa's first visit to the museum!  There's nothing more special than sharing the place that you love with the people you love!

Maria, my sister, & Lisa, our exchange sister from Germany.

Lisa trying to get a serious picture of Maria & I...

...She had her work cut out for her!  Shall we sing: sisters, sisters...

Lisa & I resting on Hyde's porch.

The three of us at the top of Hamilton.


Lunch at the Victorian Garden Pavilion Restaurant.

Maria, always making new friends.

Lisa, on the porch of MacKay during the afternoon downpour.

Raising a mug to the end of a good day!

A few more pictures, this time from Ellison Park:  Lisa is quite the outdoorsy young lady, and I had the privilege of introducing her to the fine parks from Highland to Durand Eastman in our little corner of the world!





So, with the season over for this year, you may be wondering what I'll be doing...never fear, I'll still be working at the museum!  Spirits of the Past actually takes off tomorrow.  Though, I'm also very much looking forward to catching on my very much neglected other love: sewing!  I have a lot planned...half started projects that are in need of finishing, designs in need of starting, and wardrobe gaps in need of filling.  (And, of course, polishing off all of those blog posts still waiting in the queue!)

For instance, I'm in need of a new Halloween costume!  (After all, Halloween IS my favorite holiday - I mean, when else do grown ups get to dress up and walk around in public without funny stares or comments?)  And this year, I plan to sport my finest rags as Cinderella!  I knew exactly who I wanted to be and what I wanted my costume to look like after I stumbled upon this vintage, storybook illustration: 

Cinderella
(Image via: Pinterest)

Cinderella from Märchenbuch, a book of German fairy tales, 1919.
(Image via: William Creswell, Flickr)

My Cinderella costume sketch:


The costume will eventually include a cream bodice, red petticoat, grey dress, black bodice, and tattered apron with a matching coif.  Happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We ❤︎ Our Patrons

Like what you see here, and want to support future blogging and educational programming? Consider becoming a Patron - click on the button below to unlock exclusive contents, bonus blog posts, and more! Every contribution makes a big difference, thank you!