March 7, 2015

Spring Sewing List

"Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world." ~ Harriet Tubman

I am a dreamer.  I want to create, to just hold up fabric and cut, to clothe, and to bring designs of the imagination to life.  I just hope and pray that I have the strength and patience to reach those stars.  I am certain I have the passion.  In fact, correspondence with one of my greatest sewing idols and guidance from the other has reassured me more than they'll ever know that I'm on the right path.  I am just giddy and full of happiness and admiration!  In sum, it's been a great past week - and 2015 so far. 

There seems to be a never-ending, constant stream of ideas flowing through my mind, and my "someday I WILL make this happen" dress list is growing exponentially.  More much needed sketchbooks are on the way...that said, I believe it's time for a new, spring sewing list - the following are the projects I hope to for sure complete within the next few months:


1)  Who's excited for the March 13th release date of Disney's new, live-action Cinderella?  I sure am, especially because Sandy Powell, who is probably my favorite costume designer, worked her magic on the film!  I am hoping to see it, in costume of course, with a few friends.

Cinderella costume inspiration.
(Image via: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/404409241514935452/)

Ideally, I had planned a rather complicated costume including a cream chemise blouse and dark red petticoat under a basic grey dress and black wool bodice.  An apron and coif would then complete the outfit, like in my main inspiration image below.  (More Cinderella costume inspiration on my Fairy Tale Pinterest Board)  However, due to time constraints, I will most likely have to scale back my plans.  This would also be my stashbusting entry for the March HSM challenge!

Main Cinderella costume inspiration.
(Image via: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/404409241514211207/)


2)  Speaking of the Historical Sew Monthly, I never did finish February's blue challenge...so, I would definitely like to finish my blue & white chiffon dress, as well as the blue patchwork pocket I had started!

Blue & white chiffon dress materials.


3)  For the Maple Sugar Festival at the Genesee Country Museum (March 21st, 22nd, 28th & 29th this year - mark your calendars!), I will be part of the serving staff at Hosmer's Inn.  Cold weather means warm clothes are a necessity:
  • Repair undergarments
  • Replace button with ties on apron
  • Work petticoat - panels of sturdy, striped cotton are ripped and ready to be seamed. 
  • Hand-quilted hood - fabrics gathered
  • 1850s wool jacket - currently quilting all of the lining pieces (flannel and brown cotton)

Proof of jacket quilting progress.

Fabulous mid-19th century jacket.
(Image via: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/404409241514807169/)


4) Looking ahead, I have plenty of items on the to do list for the upcoming museum season!  For a start, these are what I have in mind:
  • At least 2 1830s-style shifts
  • Another 1850s chemise & drawer set - you can never have too many!
  • 2-3 1830s dresses (click to view more inspiration on my 1830s Dress Research Pinterest Board)

Dress c.1825-1830, Snowshill Wade Costume Collection
Perhaps a tad early, but I have the perfect striped fabric for this dress!
(Image via: http://www.nationaltrustcollections.org.uk/object/1349130)

Striped floral cotton dress c.1825-1830
Tasha Tudor Historic Costume Collection
(Image via: http://www.augusta-auction.com/component/auctions/?view=lot&id=4535&auction_file_id=8)

Day dress c.1830
(Image via: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/404409241514615905/)

Woven plaid day dress, c.1830s
Tasha Tudor Historic Costume Collection
(Image via: http://www.augusta-auction.com/component/auctions/?view=lot&id=4538&auction_file_id=8)

  • 1-2 1850s dress(es)

Cotton day dress
(Image via: http://www.thegracefullady.com/civilwargowns/originals_daydresses.htm)

Cotton day dress sleeve detail.
Can you tell I'm a big fan of stripes?
(Image via: http://www.thegracefullady.com/civilwargowns/originals_daydresses.htm)

Alright, that's the end of the list for now.  Happy sewing & thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We ❤︎ Our Patrons

Like what you see here, and want to support future blogging and educational programming? Consider becoming a Patron - click on the button below to unlock exclusive contents, bonus blog posts, and more! Every contribution makes a big difference, thank you!