August 20, 2020

Past Summer's Visit to the Sonnenberg Gardens

This summer has certainly been a summer like no other.  I spent some time the other day organizing (and cleaning out) some folders on my computer, when I came across all of these pictures from an adventure Judy, my dear friend and partner-n-crime, and I went on a couple of summers ago...cue the nostalgia!

Stopping for a moment's rest on the bridge
(Photograph by Judy J.)

Yes, I'm disappointed that the day trips, historical events, and new places I had planned to explore had to be postponed or canceled; but that all seems to pale in comparison to the family, friends, and what would have been my seventh season at the living history museum that I'm missing.  After traveling back and forth between two states for a couple years, I finally chose to make the move for convenience, having no idea I'd be sheltering-in-place by myself.  At least there's zoom and other means of staying connected!

So while there won't be any in-person adventures with my partner-n-crime this summer, here's a virtual trip through a past summer's visit to the Sonnenberg Gardens & Mansion State Historic Park:

Visit their website to plan your visit: Sonnenberg Gardens & Mansion

Sonnenberg had been on my bucket list for long time, so Judy (in the truest Judy fashion) planned a whole weekend of it, hosting me at hers and making sure every detail of the trip was taken care of.  I really couldn't ask for a better friend and partner-n-crime!  

We decided to go in costume, despite the humid, mid-August weather.  Judy had just finished her newest dress, an 1850s fan-front in the most gorgeous, purple serpentine print, and the gardens provided the perfect background to document it.  I ended up pulling a dress from the closet and looped it over a striped petticoat for walking; while Ginny, the blog's traveling doll, had a new dress made to match mine.  (Doll clothing is so much fun! I'll write a blog post on the little striped dress next...)

Judy & Ginny, the best dressed companions!

Walking the grounds and themed gardens felt like traveling the world all in a 50-acre estate!  The first garden we entered was the Japanese Garden, constructed in 1906 to look like a miniature landscape complete with a tea house:




Next stop was the Roman Bath, which was built in 1914 with dressing rooms and restrooms for bathers, and a boiler house to filter and heat water from Canandaigua Lake for the swimming pool.  Just standing there gave me flashbacks to Latin class (Ecce Romani 43: At The Baths, anyone?), I can only imagine what swimming there must have been like: 


Nearby in the Sub-Rosa Garden, there was a private alcove surrounded by boxwood hedges with a marble fountain and statuary inside.  Judy looked so at peace here, I had to take a picture - there's just something about her pose and the atmosphere that makes this look like a period portrait! 


Whereas Ginny discovered a statue of her own size:


Speaking of statues, over in the Italian Garden, there was no lion 'bout having fun as we all took turns posing with this fierce king of the garden:

Not lion 'bout having fun!
(Photograph by Judy J.)

And another thanks to Judy!



Taking a moment in the Blue & White Garden, which lies just off the veranda:

Just a girl & her doll.
(Photography by Judy J.)

Ginny looking through the metal entrance gate,
which was replaced in a 2007 restoration, having been missing since World War II

I think we both can agree that the Rock Garden was a favorite, providing many photo opportunities:

This was one of my favorites of you from that weekend, Judy!


Taking turns under the arch:


This was one of the last stops for the day,
so both girl and doll were feeling rather melted from the day's heat...

We also took the opportunity to explore the historic Sonnenberg Mansion, which is a 40-room Queen Anne-style mansion - and it was equally as impressive on the inside as the gardens outside.  Unfortunately, I don't have many pictures, so you'll just have to visit to see it for yourself! 


Tea for two?

A very kind visitor took a couple of group pictures for us:

Judy, Ginny & me outside the Sonnenberg Mansion


And that sums up the day - many, many thanks to Judy for hosting this marvelous adventure!  If you're ever in the area, make sure to plan a visit to the Sonnenberg Gardens and Mansion State Historic Park!  

Here's a happy twirl for good measure:



Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We ❤︎ Our Patrons

Like what you see here, and want to support future blogging and educational programming? Consider becoming a Patron - click on the button below to unlock exclusive contents, bonus blog posts, and more! Every contribution makes a big difference, thank you!