February 26, 2019

The 31st Annual Ohio Regimental Military Ball

"And hand in hand, on the edge of the sand,
They danced by the light of the moon"

Friends dressed in the finest of frippery.
 From left to right: Laura, Amanda & me

Two weekends ago now, I had a ball at the 31st annual Ohio Regimental Military Ball - and I do mean ball in that I both enjoyed and danced all night!  Having made such fond memories at last year's event, I hopped or shall I say danced at the chance to attend again.  Before I share the few pictures that I snapped, I'd like to give a huge "thank you" to all of the organizers, and direct you to the website here: Ohio Regimental Military Ball and the Facebook group for more information and much better pictures from the weekend.


Unfortunately, the couple I joined last year were unable to make it this time; I admit that I was hesitant to go alone at first, though am so happy that I did.  I met up with several familiar friends, made many new acquaintances, did a little shopping and lots of dancing, ate, drank, and just generally enjoyed being in the moment!

In fact, as far as clothing goes, I decided to be uncharacteristically kind or perhaps realistic with myself and did not make a single thing!  I'm a senior in college, again, and my time is taken up with many projects, just none (or very little) for my historical wardrobe...So, instead of stressing over making something new, I pulled out my coral dress and some coordinating accessories.  Kristen snapped a picture of me, when I realized that I hadn't a single image of my OOTD or outfit of the day - and I call myself a blogger haha!  For comfort and convenience, especially while driving there, I ditched the hoop and wore four petticoats (three tucked and one corded) over a bum support, which did a decent job of creating that bell shaped silhouette.

My outfit of the day!
Accessories include a beribboned hairnet and bow from Timely Tresses,
silk belt with a reproduction buckle from Ensembles of the Past,
and matching, red side-lacing boots from Amazon Dry Goods.

During the day, I had signed up for two of the workshops/talks, and spent the before and after time socializing and shopping in the lobby.  There were a variety of vendors, including familiars like Kristen of The Victorian Needle (and her blog, here), Samantha of Amazon Dry Goods, Janet, who I know through the Pittsburgh Historical Costume Society, and Michael Rhodes, the photographer.  I also met Joy from the Homefront Herald Magazine, and am excited for the possibility of a future article and collaboration. 

Kristen of the Victorian Needle, quality reproduction jewelry and beaded work.
(Also pictured is a coral necklace that would eventually become mine haha!)

I really owe Kristen a "thank you" - she not only let me hide hang out behind her table, but gave me valuable advice, encouragement and styled my hair for the ball!  I'm really looking forward to seeing her again at the Citizen's Forum, which is the 1860s conference for reenactors and living historians that she organizes! 

It's always so hard to choose when one wants them all!

The always fashionable Janet of the Pittsburgh Historical Costume Society.

When I say that it took every once of strength to walk away from the very tempting shoes, readers, I mean it!  Amazon Dry Goods, the source of my favorite red side-lacers, was there again, yay!  Samantha is just lovely (and dressed to perfection!) and remembered me from last time actually, which made me smile.  I almost, almost walked away with a pair of light brown side-lacers, which I still regret not taking home...but alas, there will no doubt be more pretty shoes in the future: 

Samantha of Amazon Dry Goods & reproduction shoe heaven!

I did make two, small purchases though - a pair of clocked stockings and a coral necklace (with the matching clip on earrings to follow).  I'm on a tight budget being a college student, so I justified these as necessary for a project in the near future:

My weekend purchases, and the next project?


As for the evening festivities:  Dinner...err, at least the pretty hallway spread!  I forgot to take pictures, too busy talking with the company.  I sat with two gentleman my age - Duncan and Brandon - and found that, aside from our hobby, we had quite a bit in common :)

Yummy, yummy food

...Dancing.  I danced every dance!!  There just aren't enough opportunities in my life to don a ballgown and dance!

Amanda and David waltzing

Photograph borrowed from Facebook as proof that I was dancing
And that my hair was not falling down all night, just for the pictures haha

...And the delightful company of two, new friends, Amanda and Laura!  (You both look like 19th century princesses!)

Laura & Amanda

I would have had a few more pictures to share, but apparently my camera did not like the lighting.  So, here's another borrowed from Instagram: 


If you don't already follow Amanda @historic_adventuress, you should!  I'm kind of obsessed with her wardrobe...and speaking of clothing, I don't know what I would have done without her help putting me together - back fastening bodices and slippery hair both make for difficult times.  I sure hope to see both of them, Laura and Amanda, again at another event, soon!  

With the recap just about finished, I suppose there's only one thing left to say - that I'll be looking forward to next year's 32nd Annual Ohio Regimental Military Ball.  Mark your calendars for February 15, 2020! 

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a fantastic time! Reading your delightful writing makes me really miss you. Good luck with school and sewing; I can't wait to see you in a couple months!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kaela! I'm counting down the days 'till we meet again as it's been much too long! Best of luck to you too, my friend, let's finish our semesters strong <3

      Delete

We ❤︎ Our Patrons

Like what you see here, and want to support future blogging and educational programming? Consider becoming a Patron - click on the button below to unlock exclusive contents, bonus blog posts, and more! Every contribution makes a big difference, thank you!