“When I have a little money, I buy [fabric];
and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes.”
Costuming needs for the season: This season, I will be time traveling each week between three decades! I have been assigned to the 1820s School House, 1830s Thomson's Tavern for children's games, Hosmer's Inn as one of the hostesses for the historic dinner program and the Foster-Tufts House, as well as returning to the 1850s Romulus Female Seminary. I am so excited! However, before the museum opens, I need to do a lot of research and would like to pull together the bare bones of wardrobes for all three decades - the beginning of a full-season long project. My plan of attack is to focus on the 1830s throughout the rest of April and start of May where, so far, I have nothing!
1830s (Thomson, Hosmer & Foster Tufts)
- (2-3) Early-style chemises
- White tucked under petticoat - stash fabric
- Light blue petticoat - stash fabric
- Brown linen outer petticoat - I just placed an order for three yards of chocolate brown linen from Wm. Booth Draper & previously purchased several yards of chocolate brown, lightweight broadcloth which will be used for multiple linings and facings where needed
- Red 1830s short gown
|Purchased four yards of this reproduction fabric.|
- Striped linen half apron
|Purchased 1 yard remnant from Jo-Anns. 100% linen.|
- (2) Neckerchiefs made from plain, white cotton & black silk
- Add cotton ties to patchwork pockets
- Fix tucked petticoat with a new button extension
- Attempt to starch petticoats if time...
Eventual Wants: Projects hopefully to be completed throughout the spring & summer of the season...
1810s: I really want a kit for 1812 weekend - classic white sheer gown with a slight train, a pop of color with a silk belt or under petticoat and a printed cotton day spencer jacket - however, I need to convince myself of the unrealistic nature of this desire.
1820s: (School House)
- New strapped or bodiced petticoat that actually fits!
- Red 1820s dress - perhaps I could stretch "Regency" and use this for 1812 weekend?
|Purchased 7 1/2 yards of this reproduction fabric.|
|Still THE inspiration for my 20s dress.|
Dress c.1825-1830, Snowshill Wade Costume Collection
(Image via: http://www.nationaltrustcollections.org.uk/object/1349130)
- Navy dress with silk trim & pelerine (intended for Hosmer or Foster-Tufts)
|Purchased 8 yards of this reproduction fabric.|
- Another short gown (intended for Thomson)
|Perhaps from this fabric?|
- Finish that corded petticoat!
- Day dress with a clean, darted bodice and double puffed sleeves (intended for the seminary)
|Purchased 8 yards of this reproduction fabric as well!|
Advertised as a plum color, the background actually turned out to be black.
Or as some have told me, a dark brown or blue...
- Finish the chemise & pair of drawers half started
- Basic mid-century work dress
|Still debating on this fabric...|
Impossible? I don't think so. Crazy? Maybe... Ambitious? Yes!
Besides sewing clothing for the upcoming season at the museum, I am still busy stitching away at my internship! So much has happened since, well really the beginning of March, when the Sophia Project was finished, as I may have mentioned before. Aside from helping wherever I'm needed, I had the chance to model two dresses in a timeline fashion shoot - which was a lot of fun. And, best of all, professional photos were taken of Sophia on a real, live model for the first time at that shoot! (Post still pending for completed Sophia pictures).
Also, for the rest of March, I worked on the
|My first stab at pad stitching!|
|A long trapezoid ready for lining.|
|The finished collar!|
|Finished front of waistcoat & my first attempt at welt pockets.|
|Polished cotton back of waistcoat.|
Speaking of fairy camp costumes, as the last and final project of my internship, I am responsible for a fairy queen outfit as well as a pattern and example each for the young girl and boy fairies in training! At the moment, I am hard at work on the fairy queen's grand costume, which will eventually include a puffed sleeve chemise, embroidered corset, bedazzled stomacher, and petal and leaf skirt with a full tulle underskirt. Wish me luck & thanks for reading!